Friday, August 27, 2010

Leafs Fans, Loyal or Looney?


Leafs Nation

145,355, no that’s not how many years the Leafs have gone without a Stanley cup but trust me its close, that’s the number of Facebook followers “Leafs Nation” has and that is just their Facebook that’s probably not even close to the amount of actual fans they have. If you take into account the older generation fans not caring if they follow the leafs via Facebook or not, (not to offend anyone or stereotype) I live about 2 hours west of Toronto so when my buddies and I want to watch an NHL game we take a quick trip down the 401 and head for the “Air Canada center” home of the beloved maple leafs. I bring this up to emphasize my point about the fans being either loyal or looney, it’s not a cheap or easy task to go watch these boys play. I mean they basically sell out EVERY GAME! Witch I would not find strange if they were good? Or even remotely good like play-off contender good but ya know…… they’re not!


Looney Tunes? Looney Leafs?


Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate the Leafs however I am not exactly what you would describe as a fan either. I am just wondering why the following has not died off slightly? (Besides the fact we are Canadian) They have actually grown in fan base, that’s wild! The Leafs are tied for first with the Kings and Blues for longest Stanley Cup drought of 42 Years! They also lead the league in cup final drought with 42 years. So not only are they not winning the cup they have not even been showing up, 42 years? So they double my age plus some since they have won. WOW, are you leafs fans ready to rip out your hair? Especially those fans born in 1968 just a year after their final win, like mom you could not have had me one year earlier! That has to be tough.


On the verge


With all that being said I also need to add in the fact that under general management of Brian Burke I really feel the team is headed in the right direction. They are no longer a team full of players coming out of their NHL prime and close to retirement, but rather a fast paced young team with the potential to have explosive talent. Is the anxious waiting and hunger for the cup final going to end for these looney fans? My feeling is yes, this team is going to be able to contend and make a splash. However with such a talented blast of teams in the east including the Penguins lead by Sidney Crosby and the offense overload Capitals Captained by Alexander Ovechkin, the road to the cup could be difficult for them but as these fans have proved time in and time out…….they can wait it out.

Tags:
Leafs Nation , Sidney CrosbyNHL , Toronto Maple Leafs

No comments:

Post a Comment